Now that we’re finally saying goodbye to winter and enjoying the warmer days, we might be thinking about a serious spring clean of our home, but the same might also be said for our skin!
Our skin can change with the seasons due to variations in temperature, humidity levels, sun/ UV exposure and other environmental factors that all affect our skin barrier. For this reason, it’s important we think about spring cleaning our skincare routine. Experts recommend transitioning our routine from winter to summer so you can adapt your skin's needs as it changes with the seasons.
Heading into summer, we might notice our skin react to the air, which tends to be more humid, this can cause your skin to produce more oil which in turn may cause more breakouts due to increased oil production and sweat build up. Heat and humidity can also cause sensitivity and irritation.
To combat these changes, here are our top tips to update your skincare routine for the warmer summer months:
1. Switch to a lightweight moisturiser: during the summer, you may not need the same heavy creams you used in the winter. Opt for a lighter moisturiser that won't make your skin feel greasy or weighed down.
2. Use sunscreen: sun protection is crucial during the summer months as our exposure to the sun naturally increases. Look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 25 and apply it to your face and any other exposed skin every day.
3. Incorporate antioxidants: antioxidants such as vitamins C and E can help protect your skin from free radicals and UV damage and promote the production of collagen, which is essential for that plumped, healthy look. Use serums or moisturisers that contain these ingredients and incorporate them into your routine.
4. Adjust your exfoliation: if you exfoliate regularly, you may need to adjust the frequency during the summer months. Too much exfoliation can strip your skin of its natural oils and too little exfoliation won’t help your skin get rid of dead skin cells, sweat, SPF and dirt that build up in your pores. So, consider exfoliating once or twice a week, depending on your skin type, to help avoid breakouts.
5. Use a gentle cleanser: if you're spending more time outside in the summer, your skin may be exposed to more dirt, sweat, and pollutants. Use a gentle cleanser to remove dirt and oil without stripping your skin of its natural oils.
6. Hydrate from the inside out: drinking plenty of water is essential for keeping your skin hydrated and healthy. Ensure you drink enough water throughout the day to keep your skin looking its best.
7. Don't forget about your lips: your lips can get dry and cracked during the summer months, so be sure to use a lip balm with SPF to protect them from the sun.
By following these simple tweaks, we hope your skin will be healthy and glowing all summer long!
We'd love to hear your ideas for adapting your routine to the changing seasons; leave a comment below.