Since plastic pollution is such a HUGE problem to the health of our rivers and oceans, BotaniVie is dedicated to eradicating all plastic and micro-plastics from our collections (not so fun fact: according to the UN less than 10% of all plastic waste has ever been recycled)! This means you’ll find our skin care products come packaged in either glass jars, glass bottles or aluminium tins. These materials are endlessly recyclable, but we like to try and go one step further to remove waste from the recycling processing – which requires further energy and resources to process - by reusing and repurposing where possible and practical.
Here’s our top 20 list to get you started!
Glass Bottles & Jars:
- Mini flower vase – add a chunky-sized flower with a bit of water - brightens your day on a desk or bedside table.
- Use to store & grow budding plant cuttings.
- Store your collected garden seeds for future planting or gifting!
- Fill with juice or alcohol for a picnic-sized tipple!
- Spice & herb organiser - transfer from bulk containers and add your own label.
- Art project for kids – 1. Decorate & paint your glass jar. 2. Fill with sweeties, a flower, sand art, or fill with an eco-friendly wax to make your own candle. 3. Stick your own personalised message or note on the front. 4. Gift to friends or family.
- Pick some rose petals, let them dry out and then fill your bottle with the dried rose petals, ready to sprinkle in your next indulgent bath or gift to a friend as a self-care treat.
- Light travel size tin under 100ml – meets airline onboard hand luggage requirements. Simply scope in your chosen product (cream, balm, solid soap bar, toothpaste tablets etc.) and pop it in your hand luggage, ready for your holidays.
- Store loose paper clips in one place!
- Fill with random bobby pins & hair clips, also useful for travelling.
- Stick a magnet on the back of the tin and clip it to a whiteboard to store loose magnets.
- Store rings, earrings or earplugs when travelling.
- Make a mini-DIY sewing kit to pop in your handbag, car or travel luggage for emergencies (e.g. needle, thread, buttons, safety pin…).
- Plant a small succulent.
- Store loose buttons and safety pins.
- Melt & pour your own eco-friendly wax candle.
- Fill with small sweets as a kids’ picnic treat tin or home movie night snack.
- Use as small paint pots for kids’ painting projects or finger painting, filled from bulk paint bottles.
- Fill with tea bags or loose tea leaves to pop in your handbag for the office or when on the road.
- Organise miscellaneous items on your shelves, e.g. nail files, make-up spatulas, nail clippers, dental floss in the bathroom and toothpicks, elastic bands and wine bottle stoppers in the kitchen.
Removing old labels: soak the jar in hot water. Use a cloth with olive oil or tea tree oil to remove stubborn, sticky labels. Wash thoroughly to sterilise before repurposing as above!
Please get in touch. We’d love to hear more about your unique ideas and see your photos on repurposing jars into everyday practical solutions to help our zero-waste fight! Email us at email@example.com to have your ideas included.